Asheville -- July 31, 2026: A Buncombe County man will spend more than 13 years in prison after pleading guilty to attempted first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a felon in connection with a 2025 shooting at Asheville's Hillcrest Apartments.
According to the Buncombe County District Attorney's Office, Elijah Paul Foster, 33, entered guilty pleas on July 22 in Buncombe County Superior Court. He was sentenced to 165 to 210 months in the North Carolina Department of Adult Correction, the equivalent of approximately 13 years, 9 months to 17 years, 6 months.
The charges stem from a shooting that occurred on March 29, 2025, near the 100 block of Atkinson Street in Asheville.
Investigators said Asheville Police officers responded to reports of gunfire and found a victim suffering from a gunshot wound to the hip. The victim was transported to Mission Hospital for treatment, where the injuries were determined to be non-life-threatening.
According to prosecutors, the victim had been waiting at a nearby bus stop when Foster allegedly fired multiple shots from a passing vehicle before fleeing the area.
In addition to the North Carolina sentence, Foster could face further incarceration in Tennessee. Prosecutors said he has an outstanding probation violation there that could result in up to 10 additional years in prison if imposed.
The Buncombe County District Attorney's Office said the conviction reflects its ongoing commitment to holding offenders accountable in violent firearm-related crimes and improving public safety throughout the community.

